January 30th, 2014
These are some of the latest PRO posts within the Major League Baseball family. If you have a post of your own you want to feature, make sure to leave a link in the comments below.
- The Opening Day Countdown Down Under blog debuts with a fitting tribute to Ichiro’s #51 jersey.
- Red Sox reliever Craig Breslow talks about taking part in a round table on a snowy night.
- Dodger Insider shared some great news: Vin Scully will accompany the team to Australia.
- Following Lance Berkman’s retirement, Alyson Footer offers a look back at Puma being Puma.
- SF Giants Photos has a photo gallery of scenes from Day 1 of shooting Giants commercials.
- Beat writer Todd Zolecki says that the Phillies should sign A.J. Burnett if the price is right.
- Adam McCalvy has quotes from Bob Uecker about his decision to curtail his travel schedule.
- Beat writer Anthony DiComo gazes into his crystal ball to project the Mets’ Opening Day roster.
- Jon SooHoo has images from Select-A-Seat and Truck Days in his Dodgers Photog Blog.
Can you feel it yet, mate? I just launched our Opening Day Countdown Down Under blog at openingday.mlblogs.com and I hope you will come along for the ride as we count down the days to March 22 in Sydney! Each day’s number will correspond to a past or present player and his Opening Day moment. Leave suggestions in comments! – Mark
When Ichiro Suzuki joined the Seattle Mariners after a career in Japan, there were questions about how well his game and his modest frame would translate in Major League Baseball. Well, Ichiro began answering those questions right away. In front of 45,911 Opening Day fans at Safeco Field on April 2, 2001, he made his debut and led off with a single up the middle in the seventh to start a comeback that would result in a 5-4 Seattle victory over Oakland.
Ichiro never stopped reaching base and drawing loud ovations, either. He finished that season with a rookie-record 242 hits, the most by any player since 1930. Take a look at the MLB.com video and there is one especially poignant scene now. He is greeted at first base by Jason Giambi, the first of so many of those first-base conversations Ichiro would have with players at that position. Fast-forward…
View original post 43 more words
Can’t think of a better way to start the 2014 MLB season! Join the new Dodger Insider blog for great posts like these…and see why it is the runaway traffic leader in the MLB.com Blogs community in only its first month of existence. – Mark
Good news from Up Over about Down Under …
Vin Scully told Steve Dilbeck of Dodgers Now that he will be in Sydney for the Dodgers’ Opening Series against the Diamondbacks in Australia.
… “They asked me to go because they’re the first games to be broadcast by Time Warner,” Scully said. “So I said, `Sure, I’ll go.’ ”
Scully said he would be in Phoenix Feb. 25 when the Dodgers’ regional sports network makes its debut and then broadcast the first spring games the next two days. He said he would return for one game against the San Francisco Giants on March 9 and return one week later for the final game in Phoenix, March16 against the Colorado Rockies before the team takes off for Sydney.
The Dodgers then return home to play an exhibition Freeway Series against the Angels, and Scully will broadcast the games…
View original post 53 more words